Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Living the American Dream

     My American dream has always been to have a big house with a huge yard. I have fantasised for years about the gazebo that will grace our property and of the room in the house that is all pink and purple, and glittery that no one but I am allowed to enter.  In this dream world of mine, my husband would like to have a room just for playing music and an area that can fit all his tools and machines.

     If you know me, then you know that my family was hit hard by the economic downturn in 2008. If you know me, you also know that our family circumstances have rebounded well, thanks to the automotive bailout. If you know me, you know that my hubs and I have a list. Anytime one of us says "I need..." or , "You know what I really want?" The other one of us will say, "Put it on the list..."

     The list in our home is kind of like our American dream. Anything can and does go on the list. Our list includes things like: a new TV, a sectional that will fit our round living room, a sectional that would fit someone elses living room, or a chair, or a footstool...our list also includes things like: turning half of our huge garage into a sun room, buying a jacuzzi, and heading to Disney Land.

     Our list, very clearly is about THINGS! This is ironic because my hubs and I take great pride in the fact that we don't worry about keeping up with the neighbors or our friends. Reading over our list shows me that although we aren't super extravagant in our wishes(yet!), we are very clearly on our way.

     I wouldn't have recognized this fact if it weren't for my teenage son. As his mother, I try to stay connected with him. I ask him how he feels, if he has any plans and how his day is going.  A few days ago I asked him how he was doing, while I was driving him home from a friends. My son reached over and gave me a little hug and told me," Of course I am fine,  Mom, I am living the American dream. "

     Sometimes, I am a little boggled by the intensity of irony in this new generation, and I have to really think about what and how my son is reacting to my questions. Needless to say, I asked if he was serious! He smiled at me and gave me a list of reasons why his life was good: he has a roof that keeps him warm,(our tiny little house), he has good friends, he loves his school, and his family takes great care of him.

     NOWHERE in my sons list did he mention loving anyTHING. His American dream gave me food for thought about my American dream. I'm thinking that maybe I need a new list. So, here it is.
      
     Reasons Why I am Grateful: 

     I am grateful to have The Todd in my life. My hubs keeps me laughing (even when I am so angry I could explode), and sets an excellent example for how a man should work hard and take care of his family. He works hard at listening to what I am saying...which isn't easy, America, because I have   A LOT to say. He encourages me to follow my dreams and to set goals. He still dances. He has my heart.

     I am grateful that my son Alfred has grown so wise. He has matured so much this last year, and I am proud of the example he is setting for his little brother. I am also grateful that Fred has inherited his Papa's easy smile and his fathers charm.

     I am grateful for my Lewie. He is sensitive. He is kind. He wants to do his best. He is full of funny. He is funny in a way that I never would have dreamed of at his age. (I recently recognized that he inherited his Papa's sense of humor! and I am definitely grateful for that. )He has pride, and ego, and character.

     I am grateful for the friendships I have. My sweet Jodi, Kristen and Cathy are family to me. They are my soul sisters. They have kept me sane with their unconditional love and devotion. 

     I am grateful that Jodi spent the last month of summer tutoring Alfred in Spanish, even though he didn't get it first semester. And that she always calls me back when I call...and says yes to every insane last minute idea that pops into my head.
 
     I am grateful that Kristen listens to my unending tirade against life like I am a comedian. I hope she knows I steal all of my best lines from her! I am grateful that she is a crutch when I need someone to lean on and a boot when I need motivation.

    I am grateful to have met and instantly recognized a sister in my amazing Momma Cathy! She makes me laugh til I pee (literally, dammit Cathy!), doesn't expect or want me to censor myself(except when our kids are present, but that’s how I roll too!) and gracefully accepted the burden of mothering my children when I couldn't be there.

     I am grateful for my extended family. You are there when I want you and when I don't! My cousins are like brothers and sisters. I am grateful to have finally realized how much I need the flavor you add to my life.

     I am grateful for Todd's family. You are mine now too. And I love each and every one of you. You took me in when mine threw me out, and I will always appreciate the way you welcomed me in and held on.

     I am grateful to live in a neighborhood where everyone knows each other and is willing to send over an onion or an egg, dog food or a garbage bag whenever needed. I am grateful that I could spend my mornings sharing coffee and kids and chaos all summer long.  
  
      I have so much more to be thankful for, more than I could ever list. I guess Freddy is right, this is the American dream.


1 comment:

Tina Marie said...

Hey, Artemis--if you tell me who you are, I will tell you why I appreciate you!