Thursday, July 21, 2011

Let's talk about Girls...

     This post is about my darling Alfreddy. For the first 12 years of his life, my boy child was a child. The last few months have been a huge challenge for me personally.  My sweet son is finally 13 and he is surrounded by girls, all the time. Mostly he is surrounded by the teens on our block. Or at his tennis class, or the pool.  I should add that my bff has stated her opinion that I will make the absolute worst mother-in-law. This opinion is probably due to my inability to not micromanage. Her opinion was stated when Fred was 3. I always hoped she would be mistaken, but I am starting to think she is RIGHT!
    So, there is a problem on my block. Simply stated...I don't like teenage girls. They walk past my house a hundred times a day. They are constantly instant messaging him. They travel in packs. They don't seem to have a curfew(I didn't either, but I'm going to  hold it against them even though I turned out alright.).Worst of all, is that although they are the same age as my son, these girls look OLD and act it. I'm not talking cougar old,but  definitely more senior high than middle school.
     OK, there is another problem on my block. Alfred isn't ever home. He is hanging out with his friends at other houses (houses where the parent's don't seem to see the dangerous glint in those lady tiger cubs eyes). I think the true reason that Fred isn't home is because he is (oh-horror-of-all-horrors!) embarrassed by his mother(ME!).
    I would like to be different. I would like to be ok with these little (hussies)girls coming over, offering glasses of lemonade or plates of cookies.  I sometimes think to myself that I would behave well if Fred just introduced me to the young(harlots) ladies. Maybe I could share the gems of wisdom that I gleaned over the years.
     The truth of the matter is, these girls don't stand a chance with me. I see them walking around after dark, with their loud voices and their cell phones and I recognize them. I know who they are without having a single conversation. I know them because I was them. My girls and I made almost every wrong choice to be made at the same age those girls are...and we loved it. Just like them. 
    Although I would love to envision a time when Fred and his friends will come hang out at our house again, I won't hold my breath.

My question for all of you parents of sons(sorry to the moms and dads of daughters), how do you talk with your boys about girls? How do you start that conversation about making good choices and how not to be influenced by kids with different values than your parents? How do you know when there has been enough said? 



No comments: