Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ode to Lewie

     Today I would like to share a day from my past..  When my boys were little, summer was (and still is) my favorite time to spend with them.  Back when Lewis was a toddler, I worked nights and mornings were an awful chore. The South Lake school district can verify this if you would like me to pull up some tardy/truancy/lady-why-can't -you-get-this-kid-to-school-on-time letters...poor Fred. Anyway, the point is mornings were never my strong suit. But our summer mornings were glorious.
     Our day would always start with our dog King. He is a big boned hairy beast of a gentle giant mutt. Our days usually began by letting the doggy out in our pajamas-with Lewis riding piggy back on me and Freddy holding the door. Our back yard is tiny, I mean small, I mean almost so small we are sitting in our neighbors yard when we barbecue. When my boys were small though, my yard was just the right size.
     While the dog was relieving himself, the boys and I would forage from our garden pieces of broccoli, string beans, snap peas and if we were lucky-very tiny strawberries. This would be our breakfast. Under the sun, with the dog--every day.
     OH--and of course, at a certain point before, after, or during our meal there was usually bubbles.  Both my boys loved to chase bubbles.Heck I still love bubbles. But when they were smaller we would find the biggest bubble wand and bowl  and have bubble extravaganza's. At a certain point during our morning, my little piece of green would be a frothing mess of bubbles and a medley assortment of giggles and barks and crashes as tables and people would topple over and bubbles would spill and vegetables would have to be re-picked.
     I miss those beautiful mornings. Obviously I am feeling a little melancholia today. My baby is 9 and my biggest is 13 (holy crap!) and our mornings have definitely changed. I ran across a poem I wrote for Lewis one  summer when he was about 2. He was super opinionated even then. I  think I wrote this for my benefit, to try and understand him a little better. It is short and sweet, I hope you like it.

Morning shimmers with delight of summer
Feather-like winds blow laughter
Sparkling dew glistens from shining eyes
Baby browns reminiscent of trees
Open defiance stout like pine
Love in skin like spring
Lewie

2 comments:

alyaia75 said...

Tearing up. Sniffle sniffle.

Tina Marie said...

They grow so fast! I would just like to rewind one of those mornings! :)