Monday, July 25, 2011

Little Shoes

     Today is the day I have been waiting 13 years for.  A day which signifies the passing of a generational shoe...err...torch....err...maybe I should start wtih the beginning.  One day while I was in the early stages of my first pregnancy I heard this crazy rumor about the Shrine of the Little Flower in Royal Oak. The rumor was concerning Italian leather shoes...for kids. Those of you who know me, know about my passion for shoes. I will buy two Pair of the same shoe if I think they are really cute.
     The rumor about the Shrine of the Little Flower was true. Twice a year someone donates brand new Italian leather shoes to raise money for the church. Each pair is  $5 regardless of size. Twice a year the SOTLF holds a Mom to Mom sale.
     This lover of  all things soley woke at an ungodly hour to get in the front of the line for this, her very first Mom to Mom sale. As early as I was, I wasn't early enough(I arrived at 7 and doors didn't open til 8) to be first in line. Upon reaching the room holding the array of super cute awesome Italian leather shoes for my unborn child, I was in a quandary. My child who would wear these shoes was still in utero. Completely undetected by the human eye unless  revealed by word of mouth.
     This shoe loving mother had no idea of the sex of her unborn shoe user and  still no idea what size shoe to buy. I remember the scent of leather and how the background noise was nothing more than the eery buzzing of a bee as my hand reached out and unconcsiously selected a pair of  shoes, The shoes are a dark mauve, almost  a dusky rose,one shade on the toe and a deeper glossy shade on the heel., they are a boot shoe and completely gorgeous...and utterly wasted on me because a few weeks later I discovered my son would not be wearing this infant shoe. Nether of my sons have worn this one pair of Italian leather shoes that have traveled from baby's room to baby's room in our various homes.
     This gorgeous pair of leather shoes have finally reached the end of their journey.  My babies are all grown and my baby making days are over. It is time to pull this gorgeous pair of shoes out of the closet and hand them over to the next generation of shoe lovers. Today, I dedicate my heart and my love of shoes to my beautiful new cousin Roan.  I think Roan's momma is a bit of a tomboy and sweet Roan might learn how to swing a hammer before she learns to play with dolls...but maybe if she starts  life out with the right pair of shoes...she will be heading in the right direction.

3 comments:

Matthew Gasperoni said...

=)

Katie said...

It took me 3 months but I finally read your blog :) Very cute! Roan will love toddeling around in them!

Tina Marie said...

Thanks Katie!